Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Caribbean Food and the Americans Who Eat It

Bear was very interested in tasting all that I have ever tasted, so we found this store and went crazy in there so he could taste everything. He liked the doubles and the Jamaican patties a lot. He liked the chow mein (we went carb happy for one day), and the curry goat and white rice. We got Kurma, sweet red plums, Mango amchar, kuchela and pommceyterre chow. His favorite was the tamarind balls.
He despised the pommceyterre chow. He took one bite and said "No! This is not for me!" and promptly tried to stuff it back into the bag while he was driving.
I was laughing so hard with my mouth full of chow and trying to get him to stop!
Then I realized that the chow was NASTY..there was a bitter aftertaste that would not quit (preservatives I think). They really go crazy with the potassium sorbate in Trinidad.
The chow went into the garbage bag.
He also wanted to try the provisions, the green banana.
I advised against it. He insisted.
He ate one piece and decided it had to go. He asked sweetly (after his face showed utter discontent with what he had just consumed) if I wanted to try it, and I shook my head no!
The provisions went into the garbage bag, along with his mouthful of the black cake.
We also had channa. The only things that went into the garbage bag after that were the empty wrappers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

no to black cake?????? o.O

Anonymous said...

It wasn't the best black cake Nikki. It was dense with fruit. It tasted like you were eating cooked hardened prunes

Anonymous said...

:*********(

Anonymous said...

I think that you would have enjoyed the pommcythere chow if it had been freshly made and not full of preservatives.

Anonymous said...

Marsha, please tell me where to find the sweet red plums, I have been looking for these for a while now. Thanks!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.