Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Eggplant and Umami


Eveyone knows that Umami is that taste sensation they label as 'meaty'.
Although I know the vegetarianism and me won't work out in the near future, I do try to prepare vegetarian meals too.
I have vegetarian friends, vegans etc. and it would be cool to one day just impress them with some LOW CARB Vegetarian cooking.
So I tried out Eggplant.
I'll talk about mushrooms later but Eggplant is one of those vegetables that has the mouthfeel of meat. If you season it right (I season all my food), then you are in for a treat.
I like to keep the skin on because I think that a 'warmer' flavor is incorporated into the eggplant dish because of the skin.
Baking the eggplant is good because you dont have to monitor it as much as you would if you did it on stove top.

How to season:
For one large eggplant cut into cubes.

8 Fl oz of Olive or Canola Oil in a bowl.
1 Fl oz of lemon Juice concentrate
1tbs Tonys All Purpose Seasoning
1tbs Parsley Flakes
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt (or replace with 1 oz soy sauce)
1tsp parprika or chili powder
1tsp dried pepper flakes
4 cloves finely chopped garlic

Whisk all ingredients together with fork ensuring that all dried seasoning is incorporated into oil.

Add eggplant cubes and make sure all are coated.
Optional but highly recommended: Cut up sweet (red, yellow and green) peppers and add to eggplant
Place all of this into oven baking dish.
Cover with foil and place into preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 mins. Check once to ensure that eggplant is not drying out. (It should not, but keep an eye out).

When the eggplant is very soft, as well as the peppers, the dish is done.
To the top of the eggplant one may add some feta or bleu cheese for an added kick.

I personally love this dish. :)
It does feel like you are eating meat

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.