Friday, April 06, 2007

Wine Diaries

First Week
I was excited. I had prepared my wine and it was sitting in the cupboard fermenting.
There was a strong yeast smell pervading my apartment.
A nice warm, yeasty smell.

Second week
Still yeasty but not as strong. I added a little extra sugar to increase the alcohol content of the wine.

Third week
Concern.
No yeasty smell. Smelled like old fruit.
Frantic call to mom
Leave it alone she says
What about the smell mummy? (I was convinced that some bacteria had gotten in and that the wine was in deep trouble)
Strain and bottle it, she said, then leave it alone.
But....
But nothing just leave it alone
I acquiesed....Bottled it and left it alone.


It isn't as red as I thought it would be ...It's kinda pink. I like pink.
There's no alarming smell now


The fruit really had gotten old (which of course it should). I threw that away in the trash

Straining through cheese cloth is really good because none of the yeasty remnants gets through.
I can't wait to taste it!

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.